Assistant Director for Economic Development
Many thanks for your interest in working for Sutton. This is an exciting time to be part of the council as some of our most ambitious programmes move into delivery phase and the work that this role leads will shape our borough for this generation, and the next.
The Assistant Director for Economic Development will provide you with a great opportunity to develop your career and broaden your experience including:
- lead on the partnership to deliver a world class cancer hub in the south of the Borough
- undertaking a truly strategic role spearheading the council’s economic development agenda
- Deliver at pace, our Town Centre Master Plan
- Working in partnership with GLA and TFL to lobby for the Tram link extension and that other key transport interventions
- work collaboratively with pan-London partners to deliver housing, jobs and development
- ensuring that Sutton responds and adapts successfully to make the most of opportunities offered by the shift towards devolution;
- supporting a number of key place initiatives for the borough
- Attract inward investment and development opportunities.
As part of the Environment, Housing and Regeneration directorate management team you will also have the opportunity to contribute to the council’s corporate agenda and you’ll join an established and committed group of managers who work in a collegiate and supportive environment.
Sutton is a place where innovation is encouraged and you can see this in action in initiatives such as Sutton Living, a separate commercial development company set up by Opportunity Sutton and in the Sutton District Energy Network which aims to offer an alternative, zero carbon emission energy source for the borough for which you will be a Director.
The focus of this role is very much on development and ambition. Set against a wider context of ongoing financial challenge, the emphasis is still very much on what can be done rather than on what can’t. You’ll ensure that momentum and innovation continue to fuel our ambition and your influencing and negotiation skills will be instrumental in this area
In return we are offering a very competitive salary, together with good, flexible, terms and conditions as well as the chance to develop personally through our Council leadership programmes.
I wish you the very best of luck with your application.
Strategic Director of Environment, Housing and Regeneration